The United States and the Soviet Union are standing eyeball to eyeball; I think the other guy just blinked"
(Secretary of State Dean Rusk,Cuban Missile Crisis 1962)
1 Before we debate on the intentions of the Chinese and their recent incursions in Ladakh or what should be the Indian response, we need to understand understand the very concept of a ‘’ Nation State’’ and the need for it to have an Army . A State is more than a government—for all governments , whether democratic or dictatorial , are transient but States endure. A State is the means of rule over a defined or "sovereign" territory. It is comprised of an executive, a bureaucracy, courts and other institutions. But, above all, a State maintains an Army to protect its sovereignty and when required, impose its will on other States if diplomacy fails.
2 The Chinese are adept in Sun T’zu’s art of war and have taken their lesson well , two important teachings of this great thinker ,who has influenced so much of military strategy , can be seen in the Chinese moves – firstly , ‘‘to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill’’ and secondly , ‘’Speed is the essence of war. Take advantage of the enemy's unpreparedness; travel by unexpected routes and strike him where he has taken no precautions.’’
'' Round One ,is therefore won by the Chinese''
3 Not going into the debate as to what could be the Chinese intentions in their latest foray (and gauging these intentions does not require a crystal bowl) , what this article wishes to highlight is that without going into a full fledged war , which neither China nor India is keen on, the Country can very easily , with a mix of Kautilyan and Machiavellianism strategy , win the next round and take the initiative.
4 He who neglects what is done for what ought to be done, sooner effects his ruin than his preservation. It is a known fact that the political doctrine of Machiavelli also denies the relevance of morality in political affairs and holds that craft and deceit are justified in pursuing and maintaining sovereign power. So what stops India from doing all or any of the following---
· Cancel the impending visit of the Indian Foreign Affairs Minister and simultaneously inform the Chinese that the subsequent visit of their Prime Minister is on hold.
· Recall the Indian Ambassador for urgent consultations and advise the Chinese Ambassador that he needs to go and discuss the issue with his Government.
· Salman Khursheed should immediately plan on quick visits to Indonesia , South Korea , Phillipines, Vietnam , Japan , Taiwan , Malaysia , Israel , Australia and stop harping on his planned visit to Beijing ( remember Jaswant Singh’s visit to Afghanistan!!). The MEA should depute senior officials from the Military and the External Affairs Ministry to visit Nepal , Bangladesh , Bhutan , Sri Lanka , Burma , Maldives , Afghanistan and tell them –‘‘either you are with us or against us , and we shall remember’’.You will also come to know who your friends are. Pakistan will not interfere , its hands are full.
· An advisory to Indians and Indian traders to be cautious in the whole gamut of tourism , education , economic affairs , trade and border movement etc. Trade to be put on hold.
· Allow the Military to take necessary steps in the Northern , Middle (central) and Eastern Sectors to counter and pre-empt any more such like Chinese ventures .
· Immediate and credible mobilization of the Services , the Railways , the Nation in case the Chinese flex their muscle---the whole world is watching. America and Britain will back India –no debate warranted.
· Let a hundred fighter sorties , fully armed , fly over the so called disputed area , without crossing , what we perceive is the actual border . Maximum and visible use of a large number of rotary wing resources for logistics, troop movements and reconnaisance. Move of frontline fighters and other aerial assets to forward bases along the Chinese frontier.
· Aggressive patrolling and maritime reconnaissance by the Indian Navy extending from the Horn of Africa to the Western seaboard of Australia . Use your aircraft carrier , battleships and submarines on the high seas , which are as much yours as any other nations’ . Remember , China has most of its oil and other imports through the Indian Ocean. Do not , do not venture into the South China Sea at this time . Put Andamans and Nicobar Command on full alert.
· Occupation of all heights and other defensive positions along the Indo – China border by earmarked Infantry units and reserve formations , with deployment of Artillery along-with ammunition dumping. Invoke certain treaty obligations with Bhutan and with their concurrence, move troops to secure your vulnerabilities.
· The Tibet card---our trump card , dangle it in front of the Chinese and play it close to the chest , atleast for now . Call the Dalai Lama to Delhi the day you recall your Ambassador from China. Xinjian , is also there , but in a later time frame.
· Do not , repeat do not , take your territorial or ‘hot war’ disputes to the United Nations.That , unfortunately , is the recourse of a weak and un-sure Nation . Let the other party do that if they want. There would have been no ‘’Azad Kashmir ‘’ but for such follies.
5 Whereas Carl von Clausewitz said that war is just an extension of domestic politics, Kautilya argued that diplomacy is really a subtle act of war, a series of actions taken to weaken an enemy and gain advantages for oneself . A nation’s foreign policy should always consist of preliminary movements toward war , if war is inevitable : “In this way, the conqueror should establish in the rear and in front, a circle (of kings) in his own interest—'
‘’ROUND TWO - GAME , SET AND MATCH IS YOURS’’
Ripley's (Believe it or Not) a footnote----
A Country which has the border management responsibility given to forces (ITBP and BSF) , which comes under the Home Ministry and not under the Army or its Chief and hence the first line of defence of the Country is the responsibility of the Home Ministry . And as per Rules of the Govt and as per the Charter of Duties, the responsibility of the defence of the Nation is with the Defence Secretary .( For more go to---http://www.indiandefencereview.com/news/lac-impasse-and-army-itbp-spat/ )
The Services Chiefs are not directly involved -
-wither India , I weep for my Nation